Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wiffle Ball Spring Training Day 2

So with the day off today, we held our second and final spring training game. I was at home which put the Honey Brewers up first. If you remember from the first game, it was a high scoring affair with me working on new pitches. This time I was settling in.
Top of the 1st I got him to pop up before giving up a single and then retiring him with another pop fly out.

Bottom of the 1st I had my ups. I started with a hit but then struck out. With one out I was patient and held out for two walks to load the bases. With a full count I was hit by a pitch which drove in a run. He had some control issues and proceeded to walk two more in and then hit me again to bring the run total to 4 before striking me out. After 1 inning, 4-0 Blue Moons.
Top of the 2nd I worked quick again. Two batters up, two down. A pop fly with two strikes and then a strike out.

Bottom of the 2nd was a quick one for him as well. He struck me out before I hit a scorching single followed by another strike out to end the inning.  After 2 innings, 4-0 Blue Moons.

Top of the 3rd I felt a little stiffness in my arm that had been there since Monday. After not playing for months I knew I had to work up some more strength. It started out nice with a strikeout to begin the inning. I then gave up two singles, one of which I should have caught and then walked one to load the bases on a full count. He was beginning to be more patient and take more pitches which led to another full count walk and his first run. I fought back knowing a homer would erase me lead and a double would close the gap. I worked two of the new pitches setting up a third straight full count and then tossed some heat high and down the middle for strike 3. I held the lead. 

Bottom of the 3rd went quick again for him as he was starting to settle down in his pitching. He got me on  three straight strikes before I cracked a single on a full count. After working it to another full count, he sat me down swinging. After 3 innings 4-1 Blue Moons.

Thats how it ended. 4-1 Blue Moons. We didn't want to play a full 6 innings with our regular season opener coming on Saturday morning. My pitches felt good and although I got a few hits, I need to start sending some extra base hits out there to compliment my pitching or its gonna be a waste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment