Monday, April 20, 2009

friggin patriots day...

Sadly I still live and work in New Hampshire. After living and going to school in Mass, I really loved having Patriots Day off. At my first apartment next to Fenway Park (literally, and yes I am bragging), I remember it being a madhouse around our place. I believe it was my second year there when I remember having my car parked on Boylston Street about two minutes from my apartment. At that time I lived with my buddy Derek (who some of you may know). His sister and brother had stayed the weekend and were hanging out with us. It was the Saturday before the marathon and I had to go put quarters in the meter. I was walking down Boylston to go get some quarters at the Star Market at the corner of Brookline and Boylston (street name dropping). 

As I am walking down the street, a lot of people are headed my way to go to the Sox game that afternoon. It had to be around noon so the place was packed. An  older couple caught my eye. the woman was tall and blonde and a bit striking. I noticed her first and then her significant other. The man was wearing aviators (the best sunglasses), a track suit and had a very bushy mustache. I thought he looked a bit out of place and as they passed me, I snuck a peak behind the glasses. I took a double take and thought "There's no way". I walked a few more feet and stopped. I turned around again and shook my head and thought "It couldn't have been". I continued to the store, got my quarters, filled the meter and went back to the apartment.

I enter the apartment and everyone was just chillin. I went in to Derek's room and said "Guess who I just saw on the way to the Sox game?" He asked who and I replied "Will Ferrell". He dint believe me and neither did anyone else. I told them that I knew it sounded nuts but that I swear to god it was him. Then the question of why he would be in Boston came up and what not and the more I thought about it, the more I figured it wasn't him.

The weekend passes and Patriots Day comes. It's Monday morning and we have the opening coverage of the marathon on. I'm sitting in my room when I hear Derek call for me. I walk into the front of the apartment where the TV is and there on WBZ, being interviewed was none other than Will Ferrell. He was running the marathon. He had been there the whole weekend in Boston. I was right. I had seen him with his mustache that he had grown for this new movie "Anchorman". I was pissed. I had passed by one of my comedic heros and didn't even get to yell "We're going streaking" like a douchey frat boy. 

To this day, thats why I curse Patriots Day weekend. That and the fact that I don't get this Monday off so I can't get drunk and yell at runners on Comm Ave. Screw you VanReenen.

1 comment: