Thursday, January 15, 2009

El Camino

I went to see the Clint Eastwood flick "Gran Torino" with my brother-in-law Jon Wednesday night. Now I had seen the previews for it but was a little hesitant to see it.

Clint's (Clint and I are pretty tight.I call him by his first name) performance was being talked up and even nominated for a few awards. They were saying it was amazing and "vintage" Eastwood. Well yeah it looks like vintage Eastwood. He's playing an old grumpy man. Big surprise there. I wasn't sure if he was going to be playing the same character from "Million Dollar Baby" or what. When isn't this guy old and grumpy? Anyway, I broke and went to see that as opposed to seeing "Valkaryie" (I think I would have been more excited to see it if Tom Cruise played the part as his character from "Tropic Thunder").

The film was actually pretty enjoyable. He plays an old Korean war vet still living in his old neighborhood which has become a community of minorities leaving him as the only white man on the street. Over time he of course becomes close with an asian family next door, taking the young boy under his wing and making him into a man. I don't want to give too much away incase you decide to see it, but let me just say this. The racial slurs are abundant. I don't think there is any group that goes untouched by Clint. I even heard some new ones from him. Its like Prince Harry, Kramer and Hitler rolled up into one character.

So if you have time, check it out. Entertaining with some good acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment