Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wiffle Ball Spring Training Day 1

So I had yesterday morning off as I do most Monday mornings. After spending my weekend doing yard work and cleaning up my wiffle ball field, it was time to start playing. As I mentioned in a previous post, my brother-in-law Jon and I take our wiffle ball pretty serious so we had to break into the season with some rough spring training. It wasnt an official game, as the field was not completely ready yet. Now to keep you all on the same page (cause I'm sure you all care to know and remember) his team is the Hudson Honey Brewers and I am the Londonderry Blue Moons.

He won the coin toss to hold the first spring training game at his field but since its not ready yet, we had to play on mine with him as the home team which meant I had first ups. Now I went into this game realizing I had not thrown a ball in game situation since last fall. I knew that I was going to get roughed up big time but that was okay because I was trying to work out my pitches. So I believe I walked twice and then struck out twice to start the game. We have only two outs per half inning as opposed to three.

So I come up to pitch. Now my nastiest pitch is the slider. It comes right at you and then suddenly swings in for a strike. He knows this pitch well but once its fine tuned, its tough to hit. I was also trying out two new pitches including a cutter and sinker. At first I was just tossing some over trying to get loose. I had some early control issues which resulted in a few walks. I also missed a couple of ground ball scorchers that caught me a bit off guard. I also left a few over the plate which led to the first home run of spring training, a line drive 3-run shot. When the season starts though, the fence will be up and that hit would only be considered a double.

The first inning ended and he was up 13-0. These scores are pretty normal. Double digits are very common. I got up to bat and his pitching was way off. I waited around and took a few walks, getting me 3 runs. In the bottom of the second after getting a feel for my pitches, he left 2 stranded and I got out of the inning giving up one hit, a walk and no runs. Top of the 3rd and I was patient again. Got some wood going and scored 4 to bring it to 13-7. In the bottom of the 3rd I was still working on the cutter and that got me in trouble, giving up another 3 runs. 

We wrapped it up then. 3 innings was a good start and was enough for a spring training game. 16-7 Honey Brewers. We play our second and last spring training game on Wednesday on my home field with the Blue Moons as the home team. Now that I got my pitches going it should be a better outing. I hope to work all the kinks out in time for opening day which may come this Saturday morning. As for throwing about a 80-90 wiffle ball pitches my arm is a bit tight but not too sore. Im not too much of a wuss.

1 comment: